15 Dec 2021
A new white paper on Carbon Credits and Ecosystem Services jointly launched by the EU Carbon-Connects & Care-Peat projects at the A3CA webinar Sustainable Farming for Peatlands, has found that with the right framework in place it should be possible to finance the restoration of damaged peatlands, implement sustainable/alternative practices on peat soils, significantly reduce Greenhouse Gas emissions and provide a good living for farmers all at the same time.
Conclusions of the White Paper
- Current farming systems do not effectively support sustainable farming in Europe and they are heavily dependent on subsidies.
- Examples show that the sale of Peatland Carbon Credits is feasible if the right framework is put in place.
- International accreditation standards are too expensive for small peatland projects so an easy and cheap system is needed. Examples show that a site type methodology using proxy measurements may be highly effective.
- An integrated framework for Carbon Credits + Ecosystem Services is needed.
- Provision of subsidies for peatland restoration and maintenance is required while subsidies exist for other activities.
Download the White Paper here: https://www.nweurope.eu/media/16118/carbon-credit-and-blue-credit_whitepaper_v21-final-niallob-with-cover-1.pdf
Carbon Connects website: https://www.nweurope.eu/projects/project-search/cconnects-carbon-connects
Care Peat website: https://www.nweurope.eu/projects/project-search/care-peat-carbon-loss-reduction-from-peatlands-an-integrated-approach/news/white-paper-on-carbon-credits-and-ecosystem-services